Sunday, September 16, 2007

New Shoes

So Carter really needed some new shoes so after stake conference last night, Spence and I went to Target to check them out. We picked out a pair of super-cute blue ones that look like skate shoes. Also this week, I had bought him a new pair of "church shoes" at Walmart- just basic brown ones to go with anything. Anyway, I thought he'd be totally pumped about his new shoes like he has in the past, so we got dressed for church and I said, "Okay, let's put on your new church shoes!" I whipped them out of the closet and we put some socks on then...oh man... For no apparent reason he was NOT happy about his new shoes. He started kicking and saying, "NO! I no like em! I take em off!"
So what do you do in that situation? I did what any kind and understanding mother would have done- I forced them on his little feet and made him walk around in them, crying for like 10 minutes. Spencer had gone to the stake center early for a meeting, so we called him and I let Carter tell him about his new shoes, thinking that maybe that would help...it didn't. Another 5 minutes later he was still unhappy about them. Finally I completely ignored him and then after that he was totally fine. He even said in the car, "I likey new shoes!"
So anyway, later on I wanted to try on the new blue ones previously mentioned and luckily he was distracted by a movie, so he didn't fight me. But once he ran around in them for like 5 minutes- same story- didn't like them. Sat down and wanted to take them off. This time daddy let him win. We put them back on when we went for a walk this evening and on our walk, there's a horse that Carter likes to look at. The owners of the horse were outside and we totally friendly and asked us if we wanted to come see the horse, so we did. They haven't put in any lawn yet so the whole place is just dirt and while we talked to the couple, Carter was having a great time running around. So anyway, his new blue shoes are completely filthy now. I guess they have to be broken in sometime or another but it just makes me so sad that they look like hand-me-down's when really, we bought them last night. So this has been our saga with the new shoes.

1 comments:

The Staub Squad said...

Oh....love it. That is exactly what I would have done. What a great story.