Friday, May 9, 2008

Therapeutic

I whipped out Carter's coloring book today so he could color a picture and sit still for 2 seconds while I made breakfast. He wasn't real interested so I said, "Here, Mommy will color with you" and I sat down to color. I haven't colored for EVER. I found it so relaxing and so fun that even after Carter completely lost interest and we were through with breakfast I kept coloring and ended up with this:So I got thinking about the things that are therapeutic and here are some of my favorites:
Working in my garden, weeding, and yes, catching gophers (all though that is more like a high. Like finding a really good deal at Target)


A walk on the beach with the family (note sleeping baby)
Driving my van. Seems silly. We've had it for a year and a half now but I still love that it's clean, it smells like leather, and it has a DVD player to keep Carter quiet so I can breathe for a few minutes.
And finally, working out. I don't take my camera with me to the gym so I don't have a picture of that for you. I seriously have to go every day. I love it. OH, and oddly enough, mowing the lawn. I do it every week. I guess I could group that with working in the yard/garden.
What do you find therapeutic?

5 comments:

Married Mannings said...

Hey Hayley!
I loved your post and had to comment :-) I also agree that coloring is a very soothing activity, which also goes along with painting. I used to do after school activities and once a week I would take the kids to art therapy where they would paint to relaxing music. Honestly, I think I got more out of it then they did. It was great!

Ashley Elizabeth said...

I love coloring Hayden's coloring books too, have you tried color wonder? I find reading therapeutic, as well scrapbooking. But the quickest, or easiest (with the kids) is just going for a walk. Maybe it's the fresh air, or change in scenery? Works every time...until you go back in!

sheena said...

wow...you are like pro color-er.

I find baking to be my therapy.

and then eating.

Unknown said...

When the kids (husband included) are asleep, in the quiet of the night, I get my recharge. I can even be cleaning the house a mile a minute and still have it be therapeutic- I am doing what I want to, how I want to, with no interruptions. I think I also find hope in the fact that I can finally cross things off my to do list-even if it is just surfing my favorite blogs. :)

Gina said...

Hayley, thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. Seriously, your parents have been such great supports to my parents. I sleep better at night knowing they have such great friends! Your garden is HUGE. I love that! We are trying our hands at it the first time this year.
Oh, and I'm with Sheena. Baking and eating is definitely therapy. Also long walks with the kids in the stroller, and pulling out weeds.