Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fowl play

Apparently we have an affinity for birds. Or, I guess, the children do. I got 2 parakeets for Christmas one year when I was like 13 and ended up hating them because they would wake me up at the CRACK of dawn every morning (and if you know me and have ever woken me up, it ain't pretty). So anyway I'd throw stuffed animals across the room at their metal cage and the noise and impact would scare them so bad they'd shut up for like 10 minutes. Then they'd forget to shut up (bird brains) and we'd start the process all over again. Anyway, that was a total side note. The point is, the kids like birds. Nolan points out every grubby bird on our lawn (remember when birds were fascinating?) and Carter runs to pic up this little hen EVERY TIME we go to Grandma's house (remember when you thought animals enjoyed your attention?)


And this MAY be my favorite picture of all time. Yes, of this duck was sassy. Or really hungry. She bit my finger and took my whole piece of bread and ran away with it. I chased her down, tackled her, and snapped her scrawny little duck neck. No not really. But I did chase her down and take the bread back (give me a break. we only had like 4 pieces and she was being greedy) This is her POed at me for taking the bread back.

Okay, I swear I do not beat my toddler. He constantly has some sort of cut/bruise/scrape on his head/face/arm . The one over his right eye was from falling down the stairs (whatever, I'm serious) and the other is from him jumping in his crib and splitting his eyebrow open on the top banister.

"Carter. KEEP. YOUR. EYES. OPEN."


Aww. Precious. If only they were holding hands it would be cheesier.


It landed at his feet.


And then he ate the rest.
Then we ran out of bread.
And went home.

4 comments:

Kel said...

Wonderful pictures!!! I love the look on Carter's face in the picture where he and Nolan are both sitting. So is this at a park near their Grandma's house?

Peggy said...

I am so glad you are back to posting. I have missed you terribly. Seriously, your way with words really cracks me up!

I'll never forget when we were in So. Dakota feeding stray donkeys that were crossing the road, when another tourist pulled over and was offering to share their donkey snacks with us because we had so many kids and so little snacks that I was willing to share. She poured some into Evan's little 3 year old hand and he promptly put them into his grubby little mouth. Please post again soon so I can have another good laugh.

Kate said...

I had my own fun chasing ducks this morning on my run. Unfortunately they weren't very afraid of me and it kinda ended up backfiring on me.

sheriee staub said...

Oh - little Nolan's bumps and lumps - but all the pictures are great, and fun to see. Can't wait for you all to be here in the fall.
Love, MOM