Thursday, November 15, 2007

Nap Time

Yesterday I got the kids down together- exactly at the same time- for a nap. I was so impressed with myself and made the mistake of thinking that that was going to become a regular routine.
Today was a much different story. Carter's having a hard time going to sleep at night when he has a nap during the day so today I told him he could stay awake during nap time and play with blocks and stuff in his room. I thought he'd end up laying down and taking a "rest" but after 45 minutes it was apparent this was not going to happen. I got the baby to sleep and in the swing and finally slipped betweeen the sheets only to hear my son banging around in his room againts the walls with his sword. Ugh #1. So I had to get up. "Son, you're being too loud with the sword. Don't hit the walls, please."
Again I got into bed, set my alarm for 1 hour later and fell into the part of sleep where you're twitching and occationally wake yourself up. I was just starting to really relax when I heard Ugh #2. The baby. What was going on? The swing is like a drug. You can't wake up when you're in the swing! But he was defying that natural law. So I dashed into his room. Maybe if I can get the binky in the hole before he wakes himself up too much I can sleep some more. It worked. For about 3 minutes. So I put him in bed with me and fed him.
There, that'll do it. Ugh #3- I hear the long grunt and the unmistakable gush of stinkies flooding the diaper. SO, I changed him. By now I've only got 20 minutes until my alarm goes off. Carter has finally fallen asleep. Now the baby should sleep. I changed his diaper and laid in bed next to him, started to doze off (he was wide awake, though) I was almost asleep when UGH (#4), and I heard the beautiful sound of my 2 1/2 yr old yelling, "MOOOOOMMMMM! I wake up! MOOOOOMMM! I'm waking up!....." I ignored it. Surely he'll stop and get distracted with a toy. No such luck. He repeats this about 200 times in 10 minutes, which is when my alarm goes off.
What a nap time.
Here's a recent pic of the littlest stinker in our house, though.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Aw you poor thing! I bet you're just beat! Here's the solution - just bring them over to my house and I'll watch them while you get some shut eye. Deal?

sheriee staub said...

WELCOME TO MOTHERHOOD! I bet you missed me today, especially. Wish I could come get them for some grandma time.

Love - MOM

The Staub Squad said...

Have you adjusted to two yet? Yeah, I still haven't and Ben just turned one! Good luck. By the way loved the pic of Nolan, what a cutie!

Bertie said...

Awwww! That sounds like a typical nap time around here too! LOL! That is why I've had to go for 15 min. power naps- and anytime my timer goes off without me being interrupted- I feel like I slept for an hour!

Hope you get more sleep soon:)