Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Garaging 101

(Hang on, folks, this is a long one...)
Saturday I went "garaging" and it reawakened my love of the thrill of driving around town following signs and wasting gas just to get a killer deal on fun things that we probably don't need. It is so funny to go garaging here because people really get into it and there's like a parade of cars around you when you are going to a good one.

Summer is the time to go out garaging and there are SO many garage sales here it's impossible to hit them all up before everything good is taken and you are left looking at really old cruddy dollar store purchases worth nothing at the time of purchase and old ratty clothes from the 80s. But as I look back at my garaging ventures I have to say, I have gotten some awesome deals. Check these out:
Police car: $10

Toddler bed AND mattress, very good shape: $10
Buzz Lightyear costume (this was the purchase of the day on Saturday. I thought it was going ot be too small but it fits like a glove and is complete with wings and shoes covers. Gun provided by Grandma Sheriee)
Dr. Seuss backpack: 25 cents
Swing: $1
Other things I have bought are my entire set of dishes (my mom gave me a set of 4 of hers when I left for college. I found a matching 8 pc. set at a rummage sale for $2.50); another car like the police one but red ($10); an umbrella stroller ($1); Carter's train set with tons of pieces ($5); Operation (50 cents); children's books (25 cents a piece); 3 Pilates DVDs (free); a bathing suit (eww. just kidding. that is disGUSting); a quilt rack/shelf thing for Nolan's room; a boat decoration for Carter's room ($5); a space heater ($2); a decorative basket ($5. I'm so ashamed. I overpaid on this one. I was young an inexperienced); and I know there are more things but I can't remember them right now. In conclusion, if you play your cards right, garaging can be a really rewarding way to get what you need and want but don't want to have to buy it new. So here are my time/energy saving tips for effective garaging:
1) Start with the internet. Get on craigslist.com and look up garage sales in your area. That way you aren't wandering around aimlessly wasting gas.
2) Hit up the rich neighborhoods first.
3) Do not stop at garage sales where there are filthy old stuffed animals and clothes strewn all over the lawn.
4) In fact, do not stop at all unless you see something that really catches your eye. I used to feel like I was being rude just driving by and looking. Don't. It takes too much time to get in and out.
5) If there's a bunch of stuff you want (especially small items), just take a huge armful of it to the person in charge and say "I'll give you $2 for all of this." They are usually too busy to want to sit down and count it all out or they just don't care so they'll be fine with that.
6) I always think of what price I'd be happy to get an item for before I ask how much something is. If they don't meet that number (they usually do) then I don't get it.
7) Judge a sale by it's sign. The ones with huge signs and bold letters are the best. The ones with tiny lettering and are hard to follow are usually never worth the hassle of wondering where you are going.
8) Seriously avoid "estate" sales, which mostly happen around here when someone elderly has passed away and someone is selling everything in their house. I've been tricked by these so many times and all they ever have is smelly furniture, old perfume bottles, mobility scooters, walkers, dentures, depends, bed pans...I'm seriousit ain't pretty.
9) And finally, know when to call it quits. If you found a good deal at 8am that you are pumped about and are still feeling lucky 2 hours later and haven't found anything since then, chances are you've made up for your sweet deal in gas. Go home and surprise your hubby with all the stuff that you have saved so much money on and see how excited he is.
And to end today's post, a totally cute picture of Nolan modeling Carter's new goggles.
What are your best garage sale purchases???

4 comments:

Kel said...

My all-time favorite purchase has to be my piano! I had been searching for one and was so excited to find it! I also found some cute crafty painted wooden signs for Christmas for just a few dollars each. We should go "garaging" together! Ryan hates going.

Married Mannings said...

Last summer I bought a long black 2-drawer dresser for $10! We converted it into a TV stand and still love it!!

sheriee staub said...

Years ago I loved garaging, as you call it. Nolan in the googles is pricless, and the "Buzz" costume is too precious! I am sad that we can't can together, since it has always been one of my favorite things to do. I am happy you have Clarice there nearby. She is an angel.
Love, MOM

Peggy said...

I must add one more tip: As you walk off from a loser garage sale don't feel guilty about giving the "Thumbs Down" sign with a loud game show type loser beeping sound. It is especially effective if you do it in unison with your friends.

My best find of the season was a brand new pack 'n play for $21.00. It still had the tags on. My cute little Emmy is sleeping in it right now. Precious.