Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Why I Love California

Nope



Definitely NOT


Not so much

Before I moved to California I really REALLY did not want to live here. From the outside in California looks pretty bad sometimes. Fires, earthquakes, (liberals), (treehuggers), wierdos, San Fransisco, cross-dressers, wierdos, El Nino, gangs, high prices, wierdos, taxes, laws, wierdos...doesn't sound too fun. But, I guess you can be happy wherever you are. You just have to learn to love the little things. Here's some things I love...

I love that everything grows in California and that my garden is going nuts.
I love that I picked a humongous bowl of sweet, crisp sugar-snap peas yesterday and ate them all day plus I had leftovers to take to friends. I love that we have so much squash that we have an excuse to meet neighbors and take them something. And that they are sick of it, too. I LOVE the melons that we get. They are like 10 times more sweet than the crumby ones you get at the store.
And I love that there are fruit trees everywhere. Check out these peaches and apricots I got today. There's a small preschool by our house with some fruit trees in it. While walking by there lately I've noticed a bunch of fruit on the ground. So I went and asked if I could pick their fruit and they were happy to let me have as much as I wanted. So I'm making fresh jellies tomorrow and doing some canning (for my first time. I'm such a sweet homemaker.)
So I'll post a picture of my cans of delicious jams (I still don't know the difference) sometime later in the week.
Other things I love about Calfornia....We are an hour and 15 minutes from Disneyland, the ocean, the Wild Animal Park, Seaworld, and San Diego; it's gorgeous weather 3/4 of the year; there are lots of members of the church; everyone (else) has a pool; and I can wear men's clothing and a pick stuck in my hair and no one will think I'm out of the strange.
See, California isn't that bad after all.
What do you like about where you live???

6 comments:

Married Mannings said...

First I want to tell you that I'm so jealous of your garden!! I just checked out some gardening books from our library. I have a small space that I want to use, but I think it's a good place to start. You have to give me gardening tips!! Remember I'm a beginner, so I basically know nothing.

Second, I always wanted to move away from Salt Lake, but now I think that it would be really really hard for me to do that. Both our families live here and we see them all the time. I love that!!

Bertie said...

I'm jealous too- of your garden!!! Since i live in Texas- I think you KNOW what i love about it:) But- i did love Sacramento when I lived there too!

The Staub Squad said...

I like that Texas is the biggest state in the continental US.

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Wow your garden is AMAZING. I love sugar snap peas! Yummo! After giving it some thought I came up with a few reasons that I absolutely love where I live: I love my house, I love my community believe it or not but I love the weather (just not that one mo where its way to hot to leave the house), I love that the lake is only 15 m away, I love that everyone is from some where else and that it is a sure conversaion starter. I love that the school buses are free. I love that there are so many LDS people that they are going to build a temple 15 m from my house.

Amber Staub said...

What a great looking buch of fresh fruit and veggies. I wished we lived closer, I would happily be one of your neighbors that benefits from your lovely garden, even if I did get sick of it!

sheriee staub said...

I love my swimming pool, my granddaughters in my ward, my home, air-conditioning, and going to the lake where I can see my children and grandchildren and make happy memories. Papa and I have a good life in Texas.
I don't love my other children and grandkids being so far away:(
Love, G'ma