Friday, December 12, 2008

Sleep in Heavenly Peace...

I went to bed early with a migraine last night and had finally slipped into peaceful slumber when all of the sudden both kids were screaming bloody murder. I swear I threw the covers off and went from completely asleep and relaxed to in their room in 1.2 seconds, flat. And what was the problem??
I have absolutely no idea.
They were both crying the "there is something seriously wrong" cry. Not just your every-day "I woke up and am a little upset" cry.
But seriously, am I the only person who thought that once my kids slept through the night it would just be like that every night?
First of all, it took us two years to get Carter to sleep through the night every night. Nolan has been fast and did really well for like 2 months. But recently if we get through the whole night without a bed-tinkle, bad dream or teething baby, it's like the most refreshing thing ever and the day just goes so well.
And I think I have a sleep-walker on my hands. The other morning we went in to get Nolan and Carter was still asleep but the curtain rod and the thing that holds it onto the wall were completely torn off the wall, it had swung down and knocked over the lamp and Carter has NO idea how it happened....another mystery that will never be solved.
So I have finally let go of my attachment to a good-night's rest.
No longer shall I stare watery-eyed at the clock at any odd hour of the morning in disbelief that I am up.
Never shall I be surpised to be awakened 3, 4, 5...8 times a night with an infant who puked all over himself, his bed, and has to be bathed at 3:30 in the morning.
I have resigned my naiiveness of thought that I must get 7 hours of sleep to be funtionable the next day.
I am now resolved to just be satisfied at just 4-5 hours (even interrupted...if I'm lucky).
Because who would want to be sleeping when you could be outside in the garage throwing in a load of laundry at 2am?? Seriously.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh man, that's rough. Maybe you could give yourself a night at a hotel with your hubby for Christmas just for a good night's sleep? Maybe hit up a family member to stay with the kids? I'm needing a break so badly right now it isn't even funny, so I think we're going to do that when we go to Idaho!

The Staub Squad said...

Ditto over here Hay. Ben learned how to get out of his crib and nights just haven't been the same since. We've mastered going to sleep, it's just the whole "everytime I wake up I feel the need to go into my mom's room and crawl in her bed" thing that is throwing us off.

sheriee staub said...

Well, welcome to true motherhood! Now you know why I didn't get any sleep until you were off to college. Seriously, when your kids are teens you are just up waiting for them to return from everything. Dad and I love the empty nest because we feel we earned it:) Glad to hear you have given up on the 7-8 hrs. sleep fantasy.
Love, MOM

sheriee staub said...

Oh, and my advice to you, Kate, and everyone--don't even start those kids getting in to your bed at night. BE TOUGH!!!
MOM

austin and cherisse said...

ahh so cute...you didnt give him benadryl did you?1?!? :)