Tuesday, May 26, 2009

You may have heard.
The California supreme court upheld Proposition 8.
I cannot tell you how relieved I am. I really am sad for those really good men and women who will not be able to get married. I understand why they are unhappy. But there are so many of them who don't only want their rights but to invade my rights as well. Well you know my feelings on the whole thing. Anyway, as I listened to last General Conference (April) and listened to this talk I couldn't help feeling that Elder Christofferson was talking right to me. Here's a part:

D. Todd Christofferson said:
Early Church leaders in this dispensation confirmed that adhering to the covenant path provides the reassurance we need in times of trial:
“It was [the knowledge that their course in life conformed to the will of God] that enabled the ancient saints to endure all their afflictions and persecutions, and to take … not only the spoiling of their goods, and the wasting of their substance, joyfully, but also to suffer death in its most horrid forms; knowing (not merely believing) that when this earthly house of their tabernacle was dissolved, they had a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. (2 Cor. 5:1.)” (Lectures on Faith [1985], 67).
They further pointed out that in offering whatever sacrifice God may require of us, we obtain the witness of the Spirit that our course is right and pleasing to God (see Lectures on Faith, 69–71). With that knowledge, our faith becomes unbounded, having the assurance that God will in due time turn every affliction to our gain. Some of you have been sustained by that faith as you have endured those who point fingers of scorn from the “great and spacious building” and cry, “Shame!” (see 1 Nephi 8:26–27), and you have stood firm with Peter and the Apostles of old, “rejoicing that [you] were counted worthy to suffer shame for [Christ’s] name” (Acts 5:41).

I know this isn't the end of anything but I hope we can stop the battle for a little bit.
In the meantime, anyone putting in a garden this year?

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Powerful words in light of the national events. And yes, we have planted our garden. And happily I taught the Primary kids the song, "The Prophet Said to Plant a Garden" last week. Love it! What's in your garden???

Michelle said...

Those are some great words. Wish I could speak like that! I DID plant a garden! It's my very first time so we just got 3 containers and only planted green peppers, tomatoes, and zucchini. Yum. Just my faves. Oh and some cilantro, basil, oregano, white, and green onions. I'm just hoping for ONE vegetable out of all these to work! What have you planted?

Ana said...

Stop the battle? It's just beginning sistah, only now they reeeeeeeeeeally hate our guts!!!! Sorry but it's true-at least we're not alone, and I've found it particularly encouraging how supportive other Churches have been too, especially the Catholic Church.

On that note, have a great day! :)