Sunday, February 13, 2011

V-day

Happy Valentine's Day! This year we have made a bajillion valentines. Carter loves it! I'm pretty sure we've made some every day for a good week now, which is ironic because he is currently entering into the "girls are gross" stage. Luckily he hasn't realized I'm a girl yet and still likes me but seriously, I'm in Target the other day in the purse and accessory section and he and Nolan won't stop going, "EEEWWW!! GIRL stuff!"

_MG_5312.jpg

This year we made a heart yarn garland thing. (got the idea from Family Fun) I took pictures as we were making and i was going to post a tutorial and everything but they ended up being pretty messy and not-so-cute so I'm ditching that bc I can't say this thing wasn't worth the time making it. Plus the kids ditched out 1/2 way through and I was stuck finishing it.
But I really don't have any hard feelings.

While everyone else seems to be getting very excited about the coming of Spring, I'm....not.

I feel like somewhat of a minority in this matter. "Why wouldn't she want Spring to come?" you may be asking yourself. Because after Spring comes Summer. And Summer is my dreaded season.
I LOVE Fall.
I LOVE Winter.
Spring and I are cool with each other.
But I know that looming closely around the corner is 110+days, never-ceasing A/C bills and constant sweat-stains. Ugh. I think that's the part I hate the most.
However, Spring does mean that my garden and I are getting friendly again and that does excite me.
I really am a fair-weather friend to my garden. It gets COMPLETELY abandoned during the winter. But I think we keep the relationship fresh this way.
As I was weeding this week I was noticing the beautiful signs of Spring. (Isn't it early? It's only February!)

_MG_5325.jpg

_MG_5335.jpg

_MG_5319.jpg

I also found this! (I smelled it before I even noticed it was there! Volunteer cilantro! Its so yummy. I wish I had some fresh tomatoes to go with it)

_MG_5330.jpg

_MG_5317.jpg

Here's my bare naked garden. I guess it's not totally naked. It has a lot of weeds and a few chives. But in a couple months it will be flourishing and beautiful!
_MG_5313.jpg

Also this week I made home-made bread! What is it about making bread that makes me feel totally awesome? When that hot, delicious bread is coming out of the oven all perfect and smelling sooooo good, I swear there is no better feeling. Until you get to eat it and then you feel ESPECIALLY awesome. And then if your kids eat it and like it that's like cloud 9.
In my case, the kids scarfed down 2 pieces each within 5 minutes with nothing but good ol' butter on it.
_MG_5277.jpg

_MG_5291.jpg

_MG_5295.jpg

_MG_5300.jpg

Today's been a totally awesome Sunday starting with me getting to wear my new red shoes to church and topped off with dinner with friends. And i know it's supposed to be a day of rest but I couldn't stand my toilet smelling like urine for ONE MORE MINUTE and ended up doing a full-on scrub-down with hot water followed by disinfecting wipes. And it still has a bit of a stink. Eew.
Okay, one more thing...have you read "The Hunger Games" yet? I know I'm prety much the last person on the planet to be reading this book but I like it!
Seeing as I'll be done with the series in 6 months (I'm super-slow), I need your best book recommendations. Leave me a comment!

3 comments:

cecily said...

spoken like a true Californian/Texan... if you lived in a state like NY, and haven't seen the grass/ground since before Christmas, and haven't been to a playground for even longer, have not had a full week of school since Christmas (until last wk) due to snow storms canceling school, THEN you would be looking forward to spring.

Your bread looks SO good... wish I was close enought to come and steal it from you!!

Unknown said...

Happy V-day. I think your string garland looks pretty cute! The bread is making my mouth water. I haven't baked any in years. Can't wait for your visit:)
Love, MOM

Rodeback Family said...

Dear Haley,
How did your kids get so big so fast? I could have sworn you were the youngest out of all my roommates. Do you keep in touch with your room roomate? I was just thinking about the good ole days.
Do you still live in Riverside? My brother in law is applying to grad schools out there, if so we'll have to reconnect.