Sunday, July 27, 2008

Keepin it Real: Outside Edition

Yeah, yeah, so my garden is doing well...you've all heard and seen enough of it, I know.
Here's one more picture just to make you jealous...(by the way, the 2 zucchini in the middle are large for a zucchini. I must have overlooked Giganto over there for a few days because now it's pretty much bigger than Nolan. Oh, and we are all getting horribly sick of vegetables. Carter refuses to eat any more squash and gags on it and I have to distract Nolan and then shovel it in when he's not expecting it. My poor kids...)

But beyond the garden (and even in the garden) we find a plethera of gopher holes and mounds.
And directly behind our lovely garden is our sheds and an area of our back yard that we are just not sure what to do with. So, it's just a barren weed and gopher-breeding ground. These guys are like up to my knee. It's ridiculous but I really have a thing about touching weeds because they have spines and usually bust at the bottom and get this nasty, stinky, sticky milk all over my hands. DisGUSting.
And I am too lazy to turn this picture so I'll just make you crank your neck but this is inside one of our sheds. "Wow, that's a lot of diapers" you are thinking, but WRONG- Nothing is as it seems, remember? Like our sweet reused parmesan cheese canisters (refer to "Realishness" post below). Yeah, anything that we need to store goes in a giant diaper box. And there are more in the closets in the house. And finally in our sheds...
Black widows.
I immediately start to itch every time I walk in one of our sheds. The question is not IF there is a black widow in our shed but WHERE is the little wench (or wenches). This one had a heinous little egg sack which I also doused with Raid. My whole head gets itchy just looking at this.
What nasty things lurk in/out of your house? (husband and children not included)

6 comments:

The Staub Squad said...

I saw a spider the other day running along the basboards by the front door. I grabbed the first shoe I could see and smashed it. Oh, but when I did hundreds of tiny spiders came a running out. It was so gross!!

Michelle said...

Diaper boxes are the best! It's true I am jealous of your luscious garden and vegetables. But, I'm not jealous of your nasty black widow spiders.

Kel said...

That picture of the black widow just makes my skin crawl. I hate black widows and find them too often in our yard, but never in the house, thank goodness. But, yesterday while I was taking a shower my boys yelled thru the door that Ryan had just killed a little cockroach in the other bathroom!! Yuck! In my 8 years of living here, it's the first time we've found a cockroach in our house. That is so gross!!!!

Kel said...

oh, by the way, if you need help eating the vegetables from your garden, feel free to drop by my house!

Unknown said...

Make sure that the widows are really dead. My bug said that they can close up and not breathe in the poison and then play dead. You have to smash them to bits. I use the spray to stun and then I squash- freaking out the whole time. I feel like I have something crawling on me! Eeek! The veggies are gorgeous!

sheriee staub said...

I have killed like thousands of those mother spiders who carry the 100 babies on their backs. It is pretty gross, but they are nasty spiders. I am itching just reading your stuff. When I come out there I am NOT going in those sheds. Why doesn't Spence spray around and in those sheds on a regular basis? I hope you have garden veg. left when I arrive!!!
Love, MOM