So recently I've noticed more and more that my front teeth seem to be jutting out a bit. I decided to investigate and ask a guy in my ward about it and what I could do.
Here's what I expected him to say: "Oh, it's really not that bad and no one notices but you" or "Yeah, we'll just fix you up a little retainer thing to wear for a bit and that will push those babies right back where they came from"
Instead, here's what I got: "Yeah, I see that. Come into my office and I'll check it out more thoroughly and we'll talk."
Me: Crap.
SO, I made an appointment thinking he's gonna say:
"Well thank goodness you've already paid your dues with braces. Everything looks really good and this will be an easy problem to fix. And by the way, nice pearly-whites! What toothpaste do you use? Are you a regular flosser? Those are some pink gums!"
Me: With a slight blush in my cheek "Oh, it's nothing. I just have good genes, I guess. But I do use Aquafresh Empowermint with whitening."
Him: "Well, I'll be...I think I will start recommending this to my patients because of your dazzlingly white smile."
Okay, maybe my imagination got a little out of hand there. But seriously. Here's now it really went.
Him: "What's causing your teeth to "flare" is your lower teeth. This one in particular (mandibular tricuspid 3rd (just kidding, I swear that's what he said, though) but it is one of my canines). We have options. They are
(1) Don't do anything and see if it gets worse.
(2) I can make a retainer to keep your teeth in this position. However, it won't fix the problem of this one tooth on the bottom sticking out more than it's supposed to and its basically throwing everything off.
(3) I recommend BRACES.
BRACES.
BRACES.
BRACES.
BRACES.
BRACES.
BRACES.
BRACES.
BRACES.
(I swear, he allowed this to come out of his mouth! Directed at ME, even! I'VE ALREADY BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!!!!! I HAD THEM FOR 2 1/2 YEARS AND IT WAS PURELY MISERABLE AND WRETCHED AND I HATED IT SO BADLY. I was about to burst into tears. And by the way, I think there should be a stronger symbol to use to empasize things instead of the exclamation mark because I would totally use it here)
But okay, we still have one more option
(4) And because of the crowding we COULD just TAKE OUT four of your teeth and give the others some room to move. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHERE THE HECK IS OPTION 5??!! You don't just TAKE OUT teeth! They are supposed to stay IN the head!
AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO WOULD FREAK OUT ABOUT THIS?
I mean, you only get to be 25 once. Why would I want to spend the rest of my 25th year as a brace face, railroad track, metal mouth who looks 17 even without braces? Oh, jeez.
Oh, and for those of you thinking I should do Invisalign...not only is it more expensive but according to the orthodontist it's not as effective in moving the roots of the teeth and keeping them in the right spot. Meaning in the long run I could just have to get braces again.
So, what to do, what to do??? What would you do?
Would you do braces again???
girls camp mail boxes
10 years ago
13 comments:
I know exactly what you mean. I had braces the whole year I was in 9th grade. That could be why I hated that grade/year the most than any other. I would never ever do it again and I don't recommend it. Braces sucks.
Oh ya and get onto goodreads.com please. Its a website dedicated soley to reviewing books by readers. I think you would like it. Did you not love thousand splendid suns? I did and I made Nativa read it too.
I'm kind of on the opposite side. I had TERRIBLE teeth that I got made fun of before I got braces, so I was so thankful for them! When they didn't come off after 3 years, I got bummed b/c all my friends had theirs off, but I still wanted straight teeth.
Flash forward to today, I want straight teeth...again. I didn't wear my retainers faithfully (b/c my stupid orthodontist made it himself and it was HUGE! I could hardly talk, hello!!). I didn't have a permanent one on my bottom teeth, but oh how I wish I did now! But now my teeth are slowly getting worse and that's all I can see in the mirror sometimes. When the Primary kids ask me why my teeth stick out, my fears are validated! I'm hoping Invisalign will go on sale, but I'm not counting on it. But also, braces have already come a long way. One of our friends got braces for the first time in his life at age 25, but they're not that bad. He got the clear brackets and now they have white wire to match them, so it's not so bad. So I think I'd like braces right about now, as long as it wouldn't be for more than a year. I'd rather endure much pain than have them on forever. But even if you do get some on, oh well! Just look at the end picture of your beautimous, straight, WHITE smile!
But yes, I think I'd still be freaking out if I were you. Pulling teeth!? Yeah right!! Maybe he told you that option so that the braces would look more appealing?
sucks to be you.
Just teasin. my mom has braces on right now (for the first time in her life).
Oh I hated braces too! Yuck! I would never do them again!! But if it's not for that long then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. but they hurt terribly! Yikes! I'm so sorry!
Sorry that you got bad new Hayley! Braces do suck tons!!! Do you have your old retainer the one they give you after your braces, is there any way that it would fit? I still have to wear mine eight years later about two times a week at night. Good luck!
ohh! Pull your teeth? I heard from a dentist that if they pull a tooth, say on the bottom, the tooth directly over it will slowly start to come down to fill its spot. Don't pull your teeth! I agree with Michelle's comment. You should see how long he's thinking you would have your braces on and get them. I would never do invisalign - everyone I know that's had them has to get regular braces in the end. Plus I don't think anyone will make fun of you. My teeth are all funky monkey now on the bottom (even after braces) and I wish I had the funds to get them straightened again, and this time I'd definitely opt for the permanent retainer.
You could probably wait it out a bit, unless it's causing you pain/anxiety. Or you could just pretend it's not there and stop smiling and laughing. That's what I do with my non-sparkling white and crooked teeth. Ignore, ignore, ignore. Until I win a free teeth care prize (they don't exist).
get the braces. you're married, your husband knows you're a hottie!
don't get braces again...if you hated it the first time, the second time isn't going to be any better. try the retainer first and see what happens there, maybe that will solve all your problems. good luck....let us know how it works out
Hayley you are so FUNNY. It can't possibly be that bad, maybe your dentist is just being overly cautious.? You have a gorgeous set of pearly whites. Hmmm I will have to try that toothpaste.
I hate the dentist, I have an appointment this morn, and I am dreading it. I hate that I have to get a babysitter so that I can go torcher myself. Ugg the things we do to look good! -Missing you terribly!
Probably a nice guy...but in reality this dude in your ward only wants your MONEY!
Hayley you are SO high on the babe scale. You are probably making a mountain out of a molehill.
You don't need nothin.
Braces, take SO many appointments. I remember having to go in every 2 weeks or so, I can't imagine. I barely can make it to get ny tri-annual haircut.
This is what i tell myself because i too, have a couple disobediant teeth after 2years of braces and headgear haedes.
Nothing, that's what I would do. But I support your decision and I'll watch your children when you go to your appointments :)
Thanks for the great read. I love your thoughts.
Laugh out loud!!! Funny. Oh Hayley, I remember you with Braces! And if it means anything to you, I wanted them after you got them on :) All joking aside, I feel for you, that just plane sucks! I'm thinking you should get those invisiline ones, then you could take them off for pictures and Sundays or whenever you didn't want to feel 12 again.
Ya know it really does stink getting old. Not so much the age, but the physical changes are so lame. My teeth have definitly gone down hill since I was pregnant with Grace. It was like they started to melt and I had a new cavity every other month. On top of it I just had my first root canal and crown put on. For having good teeth most of my life, it is so aweful to feel like I'm falling apart.
I guess the next thing we have to look forward to is are boobs sagging....oh wait :)
Keep your hopes up, and if I were you I would keep my teeth and get a second or third oppinion. Its your teeth or money, its worth it to see what someone else might say.
Good luck!
You sould post a pic of your mouth
Post a Comment