Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Anything I can do, you could do better...

You could do anything better than me.

(Am i the only nerd who knows that song from Annie Get Your Gun???)

So the missionaries were coming to dinner on Sunday and I rarely get to have guests so I sortof go all-out and I was bustin' my
(quickly rounding) rump to make rolls and dinner, set the table, clean up a bit...and they called and said one of the Elders was too sick to make the appointment. Anyway, point of the story is....I made some suprisingly sweet dinner rolls! I think I've made rolls maybe 3 times in my life and they turned out fabulously, hence my title for the post- if I can do it, you can do it, and probably better than I can. SO, HERE is the recipe from my all-time favorite website, Allrecipes.com. I check this site ritualistically for the featured recipe of the day. YUMMMMM!!!

So my project this summer was to work hard on food storage. When I started I honestly didn't know the difference between a pint and a quart. While we don't have much stored up in the way of dry stuff- wheat, flour, sugar...I have filled almost all of my newly-bought collection of jars with lots of nummies. I took inventory yesterday and here's how we've come out:

15Q. 1pt. tomatoes
12 pints ground beef
6 1/2 pints apricott jam
2 pints apricott juice
11 pints yellow peaches
51 pints pears
1 pt. raspberry jam (not my favorite. The recipe used 6 cups of shredded zucchini and a box of rasp. jello)
4Q. 4pts. dilly beans (spicy, garlicy, dilly...oh so yummy)
And just look at this beautiful rainbow of delicious preparedness...
Like I said, if I can do it, you CAN CAN too. (p.s. if you have ?s or need help, CALL ME!!)

I mentioned that my mom and I did some redecorating while she was here. It has been requested that I post some pictures and I wasn't very smart and didn't take any "before" pics, but here are some after.

I would take some of the bathroom but my bathroom is seriously too small and all you'd see would be the texturing on the walls. But my Mom can really do decorating better than me. My home looks half-way decent because it has been graced by her hands. I'm really hopeless. Mom, please stick around always so I will have a beautiful home (and so you can buy stuff to put in it).

What's your favorite thing your Mom does better than you??

10 comments:

austin and cherisse said...

Wow thats crazy that you know Jess. Do you have her contact info. I would love to get in contact with her again. Thats weird they moved from my ward to yours how funny is that. Did you go to the same high school?!

Kel said...

My mom can find the best deals on cool kids stuff at D.I. and at garage sales. I totally wished I lived near her. By the way, your food storage looks so pretty. I would have a hard time eating it because after removing a jar I would feel like, "oh, I need to replace that with something so there's not a bare spot and it just doesn't look the same."

Amber Staub said...

Nice job on your food storage. It looks great. My mom can do many things better than I can. One thing that she is amazing at is teaching. She has been a preschool teacher for 28 years and kids love her.
Also, your decorating loves so nice. I love the wood piece you found. You and your mom did a fabulous job.

Married Mannings said...

I love your food storage!! Can you tell me how you can pears? I've never canned before but I would love to learn. My parents have a huge pear tree that I just picked from yesterday. I would love to can them. Email me ssiulu@gmail.com

Oh and my mom cooks wayyyyy better than me.

The Staub Squad said...

Congrats on the FS, we are making progress as well. I just calculated ours last night and while we are a long ways aways still, we are making good progress.

My mom is amazing, quilting, sewing, cooking, singing...seriously she can do anything. I love her and I miss her, wish she would visit more often!!

Rebecca said...

Wow your bottles look awesome! I know how much work you must of put into all that and missy your are amazing! Canning is for the fearless!

Married Mannings said...

Oh oops. My email is ssiulua@gmail.com. Sorry!!

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Wow so impressive. Your pantry is gorgeous, has to be the best looking emergency preparedness I've ever seen! Way to go!! My fam will be starving, while your eating it up!
My Mom does everything better than me, she has an eye for things. She is insanely creative. No joke shes amazing. She can turn anything into a masterpiece!

sheriee staub said...

The pictures are great, and the mirror looks wonderful - perfect. Now you need a couple of pictures side by side on the wall by your new piece of furniture. How are you enjoying your bathroom? It was fun to paint and redecorate. You are very good at decorating. I think it is wonderful that all girls think their moms do things so well. Think about what your kids and grandkids will think. You will have much good experience by then.
Love, MOM

Unknown said...

Ashley is right about our mom and being creative. You can show her a color swatch and a month later she can not only recall the exact color but find coordinating items just from memory. Amazing woman.
Speaking of colors I love the jars-you could almost use those for decorating they are so pretty!