Monday, October 27, 2008

More Prop 8 Venting...sorry

Okay, I should have known by the 2 HUGE Obama pins she was wearing AT THE GYM that she would most likely be voting no on prop 8.
But I decided to make life interesting and strike up a treadmill conversation anyway. She was old- a traditional family values person, right? Here's how the conversation went (the short of it).
"Have you heard of Proposition 8?"
"Which one is that" (oh, goody- I'll convert her right away)
"The one about gay marraige"
"Oh, yes and I think it should be voted down."
"You mean that gays should not be able to marry?" (right??)
"NO, they should be able to marry! I don't think that religion should govern how we live. I don't think it's fair that they aren't allowed to marry because they are born that way"
(and I'm thinking, LADY, this country was founded ON religion. People wanted to worship what they believed so they left England! And what about "One nation, under GOD??")
(But trying to not seem too far the opposite way) "Yes, I do think many of them are born that way but I'm concerned about what my children will be taugh in school"
"Well have you seen the ad by the superintendent? He said that is a lie that they have taught it in Massachussets and that they don't teach about marraige here." (which is the real lie)
"His official website states that they have to teach about marraige in school"
"That must not have been his official web site"
(IGNORANCE!!!)
"Well and many charites and foster organizations have had to close down because they wouldn't give children to gay couples and were sued."
"Well someone else will pick that up"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I kept on firing the ammo...
"61% of voters voted that gays and lesbians could not marry on Proposition 22 a few years back and 4 judges voted AGAINST the majority. I don't think they should have that sort of power"
"They HAVE to do that. They HAVE to do what is according to the constitution"
"They should act on what the voice of the people says, not what they think is right"
"Well they still have to go according to the constitution"
"Well it was nice talking to you (I had to leave). It's been very informative." (ptttttttttthhhhhhhhhhh)
"And I'm glad to see that you are taking an interest" (AN INTEREST isn't even the SHORT of it, lady)

It is hard for me to imagine that gays and lesbians will have legal backing for their belief that they should be able to marry (and use it in every way they can) and that those of us who don't believe that will have NO backing for even "opting-out" and taking our children out of school on the days that lessons will be taught and books read about same-sex marraige. To think that it will not happen in California is a naive way to think.
But they have decided to play dirty and I am glad to be on this side of it. I don't care how strongly I feel about it I would never flip off, yell cuss words at and be horribly rude to people who were exercising their right to freedom of speech (like me this Saturday, holding signs with others on street corners). Or steal yard signs, send out emails threatening to dig up the dirt on people supporting Prop 8, and make ads stating that everything that we are saying is a lie. It's getting to be a nasty war out here. Please, please pray it passes...

5 comments:

sheriee staub said...

Sis - Way to go--you are quite the activist, and I love that. It will become harder and harder for you to protect the rights of your children, and each generation will get more difficult. I am proud of you for your hard work.
Love, MOM

Gina said...

You are so brave! I wish I had your guts. I feel so strongly, but I am still such a pansy at times.
I am praying hard over a lot of things this week- I hope it passes.

Anita said...

Way to go girl. It is stressing me out this Prop 8. Today there is going to be a huge rally at the Capital. We are hoping for News coverage, I think. THey announced it in church. I love seeing all the Yellow yard signs- they are quite eye catching. I have talked to the mothers on Sara's soccer team. Believe me we are in the same pleading with the Lord- I knwo he will bless us if we put are faith in this.

Michelle said...

You're awesome Hayley! I'm praying this passes too because I know if it passes there, it's only going to spread like wildfire over here to Texas. It really is a scary thing what people think is acceptable these days.

Kel said...

Way to go! And with the whole waving signs at the street corner thing, at least we got lots of honks and thumbs-up signs!