Friday, October 3, 2008

Let's Talk Politics

As the election approaches next month there is one particular issue that catches my attention even more than who is going to be the next President and VP and that is
PROP 8
If you don't live in California you probably don't know what this is. Let me enlighten you...
A few years back there was a huge vote over whether homosexuals could be legally married or not. 61% of the state voted that they could not. This year, 4 corrupt judges in San Fransisco turned DOWN that vote and decided that it was illegal NOT to let them marry. They overturned the vote of the entire state! Who should have that power??!
This November the state will be voting ONCE AGAIN to finally ammend (or not to ammend) to the California constitution that marraige is only between a man and a woman. Doesn't seem like a big deal, right??
WRONG!
It is HUGE.
If this proposition does not pass, my sweet, innocent and easily confused children will HAVE to be taught in school that same-sex marraige is normal and acceptable. I can't even tell you how much this makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs. I will seriously think about home schooling my children (and I REALLY don't want to home school my children).
Just watching THIS VIDEO (click) brings out the mother bear in me. (thanks, Kellee for the email)
Now, I have nothing against homosexuals. I'm not trying to say that they are bad people. That is not the point I'm trying to get across. But when all this starts to affect the lives of my children then I will fight it tooth and nail.
To learn how else the voting down of Prop 8 will affect not only our families but our society, visit THIS LINK.
Our state is not the only one going through this. Arizona and Florida will also be voting for the same thing. If you have not already heard of this and live in these states, Google it now!
Vote Yes for marraige!!

6 comments:

austin and cherisse said...

Tess has more clevage than I do; and a cuter butt! Why cant I be cute. Are you coming to the Halloween party? We need to get the kids together. Your blog always makes me laugh.

Ashley Elizabeth said...

I totally agree, it is huge. We are going to vote to have it added to our constitution too. I have a sign in my yard, and the church has asked us to take a stand on it, we even had a talk on it at church by the stake presidency! You know when the church gets involved in politics, for the first time ever, its HUGE. My cuz said that it will be illegal for a bishop to deny marrying even a non mormon couple for this reason if it passes in Ca. Thats insane!

Joyce said...

Thank you for being so mad about this and for bringing it to the attention of family and freinds. 30 years ago I was asked to attend a community group meeting - one of thousands around the nation - and our job was to define "the family" as we would legally like to see it defined. We mostly talked about immediate and extended family. There was very little or no talk about the two-dad or two-mom families. One generation later and we are not only talking about it but embracing it.

Anita said...

Haley-
I am with you girl. Our stake up here in Nor Cal is going full force. We have done Prop 8 walks and phone calls seeing how people will be voting. It has been a pleasure to participate in these endeavors. I pray that it will pass. I guess we has parents are going to work extra hard to live and teach correct/righteous principles to our children. Conference is giving me such hope and stronger faith to raise my family in times of political chaos.

Bertie said...

I agree with you 110%! Mitt Romney put it perfectly- when he said what are we going to start putting "parent a" and parent b" on birth certificates now... and totally forget the meaning and purpose of mom and dad and the whole family unit? Good luck and I'd vote if I lived there with you.

sheriee staub said...

You are right sis, that the church doesn't take a stand in political issues, and the church does here because it is such a moral issue. Thanks for informing us all better about this. Sooner or later it will hit every state.
MOM