Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hand Cramp

I actually wrote yesterday, like with pencil and paper. I didn't realize how out of shape my hand muscles were. I used to take pages of notes in college (I wasn't one fortunate enough to have a laptop) but now have no reason to pick up an actual writing instument. I'm surprised they even sell at stores anymore.
So I decided to copy a few recipes from a cook book and my hand had cramps in it by the 2nd one. Yes, there was a copier available. So why did I write? Just because it felt good to write again...until I was having to put the pencil down and attempt to relieve the cramp by shaking it vigorously (remember that old trick that never worked?). Then my handwriting got all awry because my hand was tired. Suddenly I couldn't write normally and I had to change to cursive. All that picking up the pencil to write each individual letter was wearing me out. As if my handwriting isn't bad enough, my hand cramps and spasms were making things completely illegible. And each mistake was like a huge deal. I had to turn the pencil over and erase with the pimple-sized nub of an eraser on the end (because someone else had obviously had the same problem as I was having) and scratched up the paper trying to rid it of my mistake. The result was 3 completely crooked, ugly, scratched-up sheets of paper which I will just end up typing anyway (perfectionist, anyone?) and which also took me an hour to write. Ridiculous. I'm SO glad we have computers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny!! Really, who writes these days!

Bertie said...

I'm glad we have computers too! I have to sign Dante's homework folder everyday and I'm like- can't I just make stickers of something??

The Staub Squad said...

It's a wonder that they even teach kids how to write anymore, hey maybe they don't!

The Staub Squad said...

ps-how was the baby blessing? post some pics!!