I've made it 2 1/2 years without my toddler embarrassing me to the point of a red face in public. I think that's pretty good.
January 2, 2008 was the end of that beautiful era. My little boy is becoming more outspoken (when we're anywhere other than home) than ever.
So here's the story. I apologize in advance for the fact that I'm politically incorrect...
Spencer got me a new tandem jogging stroller and I decided I wanted to take the kids on a walk yesterday evening before the sun went down, so we headed to the park. We were cruising along, keeping each other involved in conversation and Carter saying "Hi" or "Hey, kids" to everyone we passed. Then, the victim was in view, running towards us.
Oh, jeez, where do I look?
I can't stare at this person. And then again I don't want them to feel bad because I'm avoiding eye contact. What do I DO?? I chose the easier way. (Wow, this square of cement is a shade darker than the next square. I never noticed that.)
The internal battle was embarrassing enough when all of the sudden, I hear a "LOOK, MOM!! (finger pointing) LOOK AT THAT KID RUNNING!!"
(you've got to hear the voice, too. He's laughing as he's saying this.)
This seems harmless. WHY is this so embarrassing, you ask?
Because that "kid" is a not a kid. He's a midget.
Oh my mortifying. There was no avoiding eye contact now. I mean, the guy was like 20 feet in front of us. He had headphones on but if he didn't HEAR what Carter said, he still would have SEEN him pointing, with a smile on his face, head thrown back in amusement. I tried to make up for it by smiling as we passed. He gave me the finger. No, just kidding. He did the uncomfortable, no-teeth, not-too-friendly smile.
It's always sad at the end of a beautiful era. I'm sure from now on my blog will be a lot more entertaining and give everyone a chance to think what I've thought about other people before.
"Wow, I'm really glad that wasn't me."
girls camp mail boxes
10 years ago
5 comments:
Oh! HAHA! That is hilarious! :) Can't wait to hear more:)
Hayley, wow, yeah that was pretty bad. I saw a midget yesterday too walking into Target at the same time as me. I felt the same way, what do you do? I smiled politetly and hoped Logan wouldn't notice and ask. He didn't. I was luckier than you.
Going to see Christmas lights on Temple Square, I took Logan. Kate and Wes stayed behind. A man was smoking as we were walking to the Temple. Logan said really loud, "grandma, that man is smoking and that is bad", and that was pretty funny:) I said, "that's okay Logan". He went on to state that it was not okay, and I had to tell him it was okay for that man but not us. Then Logan of course had to name everyone it was NOT okay for, like Papa, Grandma, Mom and dad, uncle Justin, etc., etc., etc. You get the drift. It was quite entertaining!!!!!!!!!
Love ya Logan - G'ma Sheriee
hayley,
You really have a way with words. Your kids are surprisingly cute. Just kidding!! So how has it been having two. I did start a blog so you can check it out. It is
thesimmonsblog.blogspot.com
leave it to the kids to say something from left field. if they don't say something they will do something that will be just as bad.
Post a Comment