Nothing else compares to the sheer anxiety of getting my hair cut. I used to love it, when it was shorter, but now I'm growing it out I feel like it's just a step in the wrong direction. Plus, I'm pretty sure that the second you sit in that chair the hairstylist has already made up her (I don't go to men. Long story) mind about what she wants to do to your hair. It's like having any service done...car work, going to the dentist...that person has the power, they know it, and I HATE IT.
Putting that aside, it was time for a haircut. The last time I got my hair cut was a week before Christmas. Yikes.
So I called my friend who has a friend who does hair. I set up an appointment last Friday for today and have been mostly dreading but sortof looking forward to this day since then. I go to this person's house and she has a little baby salon (meaning small, not an actual "baby salon". That would be really disturbing) in her garage. I think my biggest problem is that I always just go into a salon and say, "I just need a good clean-up. Don't take much length but I like the layers. No bangs." I guess I need to be more specific because I didn't want these really drastic layers and, well...that's what I got. The first thing she did was take the hair from the back of my head and pulled it straight up (I cringed and seriously almost let out a gasp as I saw where her fingers pinched my hair right where she was going to cut) and with a "Yeah, this is really long back here" she HACKED off like 3 inches of hair. I'm not kidding. I could have bawled. It barely reaches the back of my neck. She left the bottom long and eventually added more layers but it's really short back there on the top and I'm so annoyed because I'm gonna have to spend the next year and a half growing it out. This happened to me 2 hair cuts ago with another girl and that layer was just getting to a good length. Now it's all undone!
So I called my friend who has a friend who does hair. I set up an appointment last Friday for today and have been mostly dreading but sortof looking forward to this day since then. I go to this person's house and she has a little baby salon (meaning small, not an actual "baby salon". That would be really disturbing) in her garage. I think my biggest problem is that I always just go into a salon and say, "I just need a good clean-up. Don't take much length but I like the layers. No bangs." I guess I need to be more specific because I didn't want these really drastic layers and, well...that's what I got. The first thing she did was take the hair from the back of my head and pulled it straight up (I cringed and seriously almost let out a gasp as I saw where her fingers pinched my hair right where she was going to cut) and with a "Yeah, this is really long back here" she HACKED off like 3 inches of hair. I'm not kidding. I could have bawled. It barely reaches the back of my neck. She left the bottom long and eventually added more layers but it's really short back there on the top and I'm so annoyed because I'm gonna have to spend the next year and a half growing it out. This happened to me 2 hair cuts ago with another girl and that layer was just getting to a good length. Now it's all undone!
And she FLEW through the entire process. I'm not kidding; it was terrifying. The whole time I'm in there I'm wanting to go, "WAIT, WAIT! Just hold on a sec. Can you just SLOW down for TWO SECONDS and take a breather? This is my HAIR we are talking about, here." It was like on Edward Scissor hands. The hair was flying everywhere. My jaw was clenched so tight- it still isn't completely back to normal.
She had me turned completely away from the mirror the whole time she blew my hair dry. The suspense was killing me. But at the end she spun me around and.........I was pleasantly surprised. I liked it. In my imagination I was getting a horrible 80's bob. I'm still PO'ed about the super-short layers in the back but it really lays a lot better and it feels healthier, too.
So here's what I learned:
1. I need to be more specific.
2. I need to be more bold and tell them if they are cutting too much off.
and
3. I need to take some serious muscle relaxers before I get my hair cut again.

6 comments:
Haha! That is so funny- you just need to fly to Utah to get your hair done with Elise- she always does exactly what you want her to.
We need to see pictures of your new do- because I'm sure it is very cute!!
Oh I'm with you on getting BAD haircuts! I've learned that I can't go to anyone but Elise. Unfortunately, she's in Utah so I guess I'll only be able to get it cut by her maybe every 6 months! I always tell her to do what she thinks looks best on me and I always LOVE it! She's a miracle worker! But I'm glad your new do turned out well, even if it's a little short.
You are so funny Hayley, I bet it does look great. I know what you mean about the control thing, it's annoying. But you gotta trust them. The girl I go to is really good, and by good I mean cheap. But she takes FOREVER and the conversation usually is painful, and by painful I mean it's impossible to get her talk, and then it's loud in the salon, so we just end up repeating ourselves. Now I just grab a couple mags and catch up with Jen and Brad and Jolie. You know that Jolie stood Jen up right? JK.
I felt anxious for you just reading the post. I hate that feeling of sitting in the chair, just burning inside beacuse you know they are cutting too much. I'm with the other two about Elise being the best! I recently had my hair cute and was a little disappointed it didn't look like it did when Elise cut it.
I'm glad it turned out ok. Post a picture of the cute do.
I agree, haircuts are the worst, especially bad ones. Why are haircuts like nightmares, the ones that you try to scream and the sound just doesn't come out? I've done that a time or two, but then I end up saying that I like it, give her/him a tip, and spend the rest of the day crying my eyes out.
I want to see a picture too!!
I spent years crying over hair cuts. Now, I just start out by saying "I DON'T WANT MY MONEY'S WORTH!!!!" That gets their attention, and then I can explain about the getting scalped part. Your 3 new steps are right on - especially the speaking up one. After all, it is OUR hair, and women take their hair pretty seriously! I still get scalped now and then.
Love- MOM
Post a Comment