Thursday, April 3, 2008

Quiet Time, Shmiet Time

I was REALLY in need of a good nap today during Carter's quiet time and Nolan's nap. I had met up with some friends at McD's for lunch and play time and he threw a pretty nasty fit when we left.
Anyway, he's gotten into the habit of calling for me numerous times during quiet time to have me do things or have me get stuff for him. I've been trying to tell him he can't do that. So today I told him about 15 times, "Don't come out. Don't call for Mommy." He, of course, did and I told him not to again. A few minutes later I'm peacefully eating my bowl of salad and checking my normal blogs when I hear him burst into tears. He came to his door and I told him to come out and tell me what was the matter. He was crying so hard he couldn't talk but I understood he did something to his nose (bonked it, I supposed). I kissed it better and told him to go back to his room. He was beside himself so I told him to calm down and tell me what was the matter. Through broken sentences and tears I could tell something was UP.
His nose, that is.
I went to his room with him and he showed me a piece of a foam block he had found and ripped or bitten off a sizable piece and stuffed WAY (and I mean WAY) up his left nostril. So I had him blow his nose to try and rocket it out of there but that didn't work and it made him sneeze like crazy. So what do I always do in a situation like this?
Call Super Hubby (only we'll call him Dr.Daddy this time)
So Dr.Daddy performed a nasal obstruction extraction (you like that??) using Annoyed Mommy's eyebrow tweezers and a flashlight (lovely). The entire procedure took less than five minutes and then he prescribed the last of Mommy's freshly washed, cut, and ready-to-eat strawberries as a reward for sitting still during the extraction. That makes me Very Annoyed and Really REALLY In Need of a Nap Mommy.

5 comments:

The Staub Squad said...

I can feel your pain. I too, require naps frequently, but if Logan takes a nap he is up all night. So I put Ben down for a nap, put in a movie for Logan and lay down on the couch for a "little rest." It usually works out nicely. I hope that doesn't make me a bad mother.

Bertie said...

That same thing happened to me- with foam and that is THE worst stuff to get stuck up the nose- because it doesn't come out with the hardest blow. I'm glad he sat patiently for you- that is impressive.

Ethan screamed and screamed- and we had to sedate him with Benadryl to get it out with tweezers and a flashlight! Hardest thing I've EVER done- having to hold him down!

Glad I'm not the only one that has had to go through that:)

Super daddy should come back into play now and watch the kids while you nappy nap.:)

Michelle said...

Boy do I look forward to those days...

Amber Staub said...

Chloe went through an "everything goes up the nose phase", but nothing ever got stuck. I'm glad it wasn't worse. What a way to ruin a good nap time.

Ashley Elizabeth said...

Ohmigish this is my worst fear. I konw one of these days I will find Hayden and he will have stuck a huge piece of candy (since thats all he does these days...sneaks candy) or a lego up his nose. Yikes. Knock on wood that it hasn't hapened yet. Dr. Hubby is good, is there anything he can't fix?